Volunteer Fall 2018
We are now recruiting literacy mentors for fall programs, which begin September 10, 2018.
If you love reading, writing, and working with kids, then join our team of volunteer mentors! You can have fun while helping kids build their literacy skills and self-esteem through tutoring and creative projects, such as:
- Scavenger hunts
- Magic shows
- Giving Tuesdays (where our kids give advice to adults!)
- Movie marathons
- And much more!
We encourage volunteer applications from a wide range of backgrounds. Did we mention we have snacks?
Deadline for the September - December term applications is Friday, September 7.
Who can volunteer? Anyone who is:
- 16 years or older
- fully committed to attending the same weekly two-hour shift for at least a full term (terms run from September to December)
- able to volunteer during program hours, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (if you normally work during these times, check out our employee volunteering opportunities and get your whole team involved!)
- passionate about children's literacy and not afraid to be wacky!
- adaptable, committed, compassionate, consistent, flexible, friendly, fun, genuine, kind, love to learn, open minded, relaxed, team player, trustworthy, and understanding
How do I become a volunteer? You must complete:
- the application form—once we receive this we can help you with the rest of the steps
- criminal record check—free for anyone with a BC government–issued ID
- a three-hour orientation session—where you'll learn about the cool activities we do, what a typical shift looks like, safety stuff and some tips to make you a great mentor
- an hour-and-a-half training session that focuses on how to support the kids' emotional, social and behavioral needs
The entire process from application to being placed in a program can take up to two months.
Deadline for fall program applications is Friday, September 7th, 2018.