We are now recruiting literacy mentors for summer programs, which begin July 2, 2018. For general program times, check out the volunteer application.
Deadline for the July - August term applications is Monday, June 4th.
If you love reading, writing and working with kids, then join our team of volunteer mentors! You can have fun while helping kids build their literacy skills and self-esteem through tutoring and creative writing projects. We encourage volunteer applications from a wide range of backgrounds.
Who can volunteer? Anyone who is:
- 16 years or older
- fully committed to attending the same weekly two-hour shift for at least a full term (terms run from September to December, January to March, April to June, and July to August)
- able to volunteer during program hours, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (if you normally work during these times, check out our employee volunteering opportunities and get your whole team involved!)
- passionate about children's literacy and not afraid to be wacky!
- possess at least 15 of the following qualities: adaptable, committed, compassionate, consistent, flexible, friendly, fun, genuine, kind, love to learn, open minded, relaxed, team player, trustworthy, understanding
How do I become a volunteer? You must complete:
- the application form—once we receive this we can help you with the rest of the steps
- a criminal record check—free for anyone with a BC government–issued ID
- a three-hour orientation session—where you'll learn about the cool activities we do, what a typical shift looks like, safety stuff and some tips to make you a great mentor
- an hour-and-a-half training session that focuses on how to support the kids' emotional, social and behavioral needs
The entire process from application to being placed in a program can take up to two months.
Deadline for summer program applications is June 4th, 2018.